Monday, May 24, 2010

Summer has finally arrived


After several snow storms in May, we had our first beautiful weekend in Boulder and it looks like the weather will stay sunny and warm for a while. I joined a team in Boulder's ultimate league a month or two ago, and the tournament was this weekend. I hadn't played for almost two years (except for one tourney last summer) and was considering just not going back. After playing for a couple of weeks in B-league, I remember why I love the sport so much. The deep cuts, the zone shut-downs, the give-gos. I think I'm back for good. It's funny, but because I learned ultimate among friends and family (and maybe because I'm good at it), I'm much more outgoing when I'm in the ultimate community than otherwise. Playing again makes me realize that I'm far less socially awkward than I think I am.

chicken pieces ready to broil

I've been thoroughly enjoying my first road bike and have been out about 6 times. It's amazing what a difference a good light bike makes. And also remarkable how different biking in the mountains is than biking in the midwest. I like. Most everyone I know out here has a nice road bike and goes for rides on weekends. Matt wants to bike from summit county to Vail sometime this summer. We'll see. . .


the yummy sauce

My family has had a recent obsession with Indian food. After travelling to India and gaining about 10 pounds (don't most people lose weight in India?), I've become pretty fascinated with it too. Something about the spices and the aromas is magical. And you can look at a sauce and have no idea what is in it, but still love every bite. I even took a cooking class in Udaipur. I replicated it once, with outstanding results, but I don't think about cooking Indian very often. Matt however, is very taken with Chicken Tikka Masala, so we try to make it every now and again.

Chicken Tikka Masala
adapted from the Best International Recipe Cookbook

  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp veg oil
  • 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 Tbsp veg oil
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • Salt
  • 2 medium garlic cloved, minced
  • 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
  • 1 serrano chile, ribs and seeds removed, minced
  • 1 Tbsp garam masala
  • 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2/3 cup cream or plain yogurt
  1. For the chicken, combined salt, cumin, coriander, and cayenne in bowl. Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with spices. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Whisk together the yogurt, oil, ginger, and garlic and set aside.
  2. For the sauce, heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium. Add onion and 1/4 tsp salt and cook until softened (5-7'). Stir in garlic, ginger, garam masala, and cook 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and reduce to medium low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the cream and return to a simmer. Remove the pan from heat and cover to keep warm.
  3. While the sauce simmers, heat broiler and adjust over rack to 6 inches from below heating element. Dip chicken into yogurt mixture and arrange on a baking sheet lined with foil. Broil for 10-18 minutes, flipping halfway. The exteroir should be lightly charred in spots.
  4. Let chicken rest 5 minutes. Cut up and stir into the sauce.



saag on the side.

3 comments:

  1. ALi!! the most important part... how did you make that Naan looking side bread?!?!?! :) looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the heck did you gain ten pounds in that part of the world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. um. . . by eating a lot? I actually gained 10 pounds over my entire 6 month asian experience

    ReplyDelete