Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A change in seasons

We had our first snow of the year this week. I love the snow. It's peaceful, silent, and it reminds me of home. We went up to the mountains and took one run at the resort last weekend. Four of us up from Boulder on our teles. Bunch of hippies. I'm looking forward to ski season this year with the hopes that the snow doesn't suck like it did last year.

Matt started a new job this week, and is happy to be working with better people in a more positive environment. And in a field that people actually give a damn about. I guest taught two lectures to a roomful of young engineers, which was quite rewarding and entertaining.

I will be home for a whole week over Thanksgiving. As I get three different food magazines and religiously peruse food blogs, I've come up with a lot of new-fangled holiday recipes to test out on our 30 or so relatives who pop in. I love this hobby.

I've been baking every week for seminar (it beats buying the crap from the supermarket) and have the enviable task every Tuesday to bake anything I want for 30-40 people. It's been great for my stress levels. We had some stout leftover because no one actually likes stout. It turns out that stout and chocolate are a delicious combo. And as an added bonus, we got a new camera in the mail, so I don't have to turn it off and on between every photo. Score! I got an awesome new camera and was so excited to put up pics from it, but the SD card was bunked. So here's a lovely pic from my building to make you jealous that you don't live in Boulder.

Chocolate Stout Cupcakes
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Makes 20-24 cupcakes
  • 1 cup stout
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup sour cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour cupcake tin.
  2. Bring the stout and butter to a simmer over medium hear. Whisk in cocoa powder. Set aside to cool slightly.
  3. Mix together dry ingredients in a small bowl.
  4. Whisk together eggs and sour cream in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Whisk the chocolate stout mixture into the eggs and cream. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until combined.
  5. Spoon into greased pan (3/4 full) and bake for about 18 minutes.
  6. Let cool completely before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment