Monday, December 6, 2010

Dreaming of a White Christmas

The snow has been a little disappointing down here this year. We've only had snow on the ground for a couple of days so far, and this week has been pushing 60 degrees. Unfazed, we took a trip into the woods this weekend to search for the perfect Christmas tree. Matt and I hadn't planned on getting one, but once we got there, all the trees were so charming, we couldn't resist. And thankfully, there was snow. Getting our picture taken with Smokey was a highlight. Amelia is in Uganda, so we had to add her in later.


Our tree is little.

It is a little odd having only two classes, as everyone else is scrambling to get things done and I'm lazing around as usual. We're looking forward to 2 weeks in Australia over Christmas and New Years. Which means no White Christmas again this year. We had a good time at home over Thanksgiving, and visited a lot of family. Amanda is living on the same dorm floor that I lived on my freshman year, so we paid her a visit and enjoyed nostalgic Middlebrook cuisine.

My parents vacationed in Istanbul last month and brought me back some saffron. I haven't used saffron much, but it's pretty and smells good, so I figured I'd better find something to use it in.


I'm not big into raw vegetables. Maybe it's my Chinese side coming out. Unless it's a very well-made salad, I avoid raw vegetables as often as possible. I like my veggies soggy, salty, and warm. So in honor of that sentiment, I made this dish. I served mine with sauteed spinach and a little mushroom sauce. Mmmmm, comfort food.


Creamy Saffron Polenta
adapted from Bon Appetit

  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp saffron threads
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup dry polenta (or cornmeal)
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
  1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Saute the onions until golden.
  2. Add the broth, saffron, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir in polenta and whisk constantly until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Simmer for 10 minutes (5 if using cornmeal), whisking occasionally.
  4. Meanwhile, process the corn in a food processor until chunky. Stir into polenta after 5 minutes. Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. Cute tree! We just put ours up after rearranging all our couches to make room. It feels nice and festive in our living room now!

    ReplyDelete