Wednesday, February 15, 2012

More chocolate please

I've been doing a lot of crafting in the last few months. I never really got into knitting (too ADD?), but when a friend recently showed me how to wire wrap my own earrings, I went a little nuts. And once I had an absurd amount of dangly earrings, I needed a better place to store them than on the bathroom counter. Here's my solution. Fine black plastic mesh in a picture frame. I feel so clever. Now I have to stop making earrings. I am also planning to make a wedding quilt in lieu of a guestbook. Not that I've ever made anything using a sewing machine unless I was supervised by a pro seamstress. We'll see how that goes in a few months.


I'm always looking for a cookie/brownie that maximizes chocolate per bite while not getting dry or otherwise unpleasant. I've had this recipe on my "to bake" list for a couple of months now. Not sure how I only just made them. Yes, they do take the equivalent of two normal-sized bags (24 oz.) of chocolate chips per batch. I didn't try the recipe that calls for 42 oz. Patience, grasshopper.


Chocolate Chubbie's
adapted from Sarabeth's Bakery

  • 1 stick (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (or 9 oz. bittersweet + 3 oz. unsweetened)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 12 oz. (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (or with half pecans)
  1. Position racks in center and top third of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
  2. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Put the butter in a metal bowl and melt over the water. Add 12 oz. of chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes to cool.
  3. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt in a little bowl.
  4. Whip the eggs with your fancy mixer or whisk until foamy. Add sugar and vanilla and whip for 3 more minutes until very thick and pale yellow. Beat in the lukewarm chocolate mixture. Gradually stir in the flour mixture by hand. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips and nuts. Dough will be softer than most cookie dough.
  5. Scoop batter by 2 Tbsp-fulls onto pans, placing them 1-1/2 inches apart. Bake, switching positions halfway through, for 17-20 minutes, until the edges are set. Don't overbake them (though the batch I overbaked was delicious once you gummed them a bit. . .). Cool completely before storing.

Oops. The cookie that broke obviously needs to be culled from the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment