Thursday, June 9, 2011

My first savage tournament: The Bob Loblaw Law Blog


I got back to 5,600 ft. and immediately played in a savage tournament. 10 people per roster, 7 play per game and no subbing. My kind of game. I played with a group of wildly talented Minnesotans who made the trek to Colorado for the weekend. The fickle weather gods around here rewarded them with perfect weather. Ultimate is my happy place.

Since I got home, I've been catching up on work and food magazines and baking up a storm to release stress about my field study this summer. Despite my chagrin that this month's Bon Appetit had a person's face instead of a beautiful food item, I made it's salsa verde in anticipation of summer grills. I also could put my lovely glass jar collection to use, and give the man less excuses to harass me about how many glass jars I've accumulated. I made pickled red onions recently too. See Jen's blog for a good recipe.


Salsa Verde
from Bon Appetit June 2011

  • 6 oil-packed anchovies, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
  • 1 jalepeno, stemmed, seeded, and minced
  • 4 cups loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
  • 2 cups loosely packed mint leaves, chopped
  • 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt to taste
  1. Grind anchovies, garlic, capers, and chile in food processor until chunky.
  2. Add herbs and stir to combine (I whizzed it here too, but only because I don't like parsley chunks)
  3. Use a fork to slowly whisk in the oil.
  4. Season to taste with salt.
  5. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temp before using.
  6. Store in the fridge for up to one week
As a microbiologist, I have somehow adopted the resolution that microbes don't make you sick, so I will probably be eating this for a month. I'll let you know if this action results in severe discomfort.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed by the savage tournament. I don't think I would be brave enough to sign up for one of those. Way to go!

    Glad you could put your glass jar collection to use :) The salsa verde looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the games were only to 7, so the amount of running was just right if your team didn't drop much.

    ReplyDelete