Thursday, January 24, 2013

Whatever Scones


I generally don't enjoy bakery scones.  You know, the sweet, monstrous triangles whose textures somewhat resemble a rock.  I like moist, tender scones:  those that are more like fluffy biscuits than small pastries.  This scone recipe is like that, with the added bonus of being able to mix in whatever the heck you are hankering for.  Thus the name.

In other news, I'm learning the Dvorak keyboard.  This is mostly curiosity-driven; I want to see how fast I can pick it up.  I'm sticking with Qwerty a work, so I can still get things done.  Needless to say, typing at home is slow going.

Whatever Scones

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1 1/3 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup veg oil
  • 6 Tbsp honey/maple syrup/sugar/any combo
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 2-3 cups stuff*
*I used 
  • 1 cup chopped apple
  • 1/2 cup chopped cranberries
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup coconut shreds
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
  2. Mix flours, sugar, leavening, salt, cinnamon, cornmeal, and oats.
  3. Add the oil, honey, eggs, and yogurt and mix halfway.
  4. Stir in the stuff.
  5. Drop 1 1/2 to 2 inch blobs onto prepared baking sheets and flatten slightly.
  6. Bake for 18-22 minute, rotating pans halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment