We were hoping to have an epic ski season, as both our schedules enable us to work from wherever for this year only. However, Ullr seems to have different plans. Not much is open, and for the week that my parents and sister were out, there was only 1" of snow total. Oh, the sadness of our little first-world problems. In the meantime, I've rediscovered my love of skate skiing. And Matt comes along too. He's less efficient, which works out pretty well for pacing. Also, nordic is a lot harder at 9,000 ft than it is in Minnesota.
We're back in Boulder and just getting into the swing of work again. I'm writing like a fiend and trying to finish up all the last experiments that haven't been working for the last 9 months. Somehow, I still adhere to the irrational belief that they will work this semester.
After coming home from a week of vacation, we had almost nothing to eat at home, so whipped these up. While I'm not usually a proponent of weenie baked goods, there are remarkably moist and delicious.
Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup mashed banana + applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots (about 2 smallish)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease 12 muffin cups
- Mix the flours, oats, sugar, soda, and salt together.
- Mix the yogurt, bananapplesauce and egg in a separate bowl and add it to the flour mixture. Stir until blended, but don't overmix.
- Stir in raisins, carrots, and coconut. You can add nuts too if you like.
- Fill the muffin cups full and bake 20-25 minutes.