Thursday, November 29, 2012

New Favorite Brownie Recipe

I've been an avid fan of the baked brownie recipe for quite some time now.  I like the idea of a brownie with copious amounts of melted chocolate involved.  I have even become a bit snobbish, looking down on lowly brownie recipes who's chocolate flavor is supplied by cocoa powder alone.  So when I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit this month, I was intrigued.  Mostly because there is only 1/3 of a cup of flour, which has to be a good thing in a brownie recipe.  

I like fudgy brownies.  In fact, I frequently ask myself why I bother to bake them in the first place, since the batter is so darned delicious.  (Usually, I decide that the baked form is more easy to transport and distribute.   Usually.)  I have been known to leave a 1/2 inch edge of crusty discards all along the outside of the brownie pan.  Despite--or maybe because of-- the lack of melted chocolate in this recipe, they were incredibly fudgy.  Now if you're one of those people who likes edge-brownies, I don't really know what to say.  But you can come eat my garbage if you like.  



Cocoa Brownies
adapted from Bon Apetit
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • dash (<1 cayenne="cayenne" li="li" optional="optional" pepper="pepper" tsp="tsp">

  1. Prehear oven to 325.  Line an 8x8-inch pan with tin foil and grease it.  
  2. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Let cool.  Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl, and pour the butter in, whisking as you go.  Whisk in vanilla and beat in eggs, one at a time.  Stir in flour and cayenne until just combines
  3. Bake until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached (I don't bake it this long. . .), 25-30 minutes.  Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let cool completely.  




I swear licking the bowl isn't the only reason I make brownies.

In other news, we had an epic date night at Zoo Lights

1 comment:

  1. These look yummy. Can you put frosting on top?

    ReplyDelete